Best-practice for selecting multiple references in order to generate citation

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Adam Smith

Best-practice for selecting multiple references in order to generate citation

Post by Adam Smith »

Hi,
despite using Bookends for years now, I don't know a convenient way to select multiple references for citation generation. I know I can select multiple references by CTRL–Click or CMD–Click. If the reference list is very long it's annoying to scroll down all the reference list, so I hoped I can filter the list by search term-1, select valid entries (this works) and then filtering with a new search term term-2 and again adding references by CTRL–Click/CMD–Click and so on for other search terms. But unfortunately, this isn't possible.
Is there another approach to accomplish conveniently selecting multiple references by narrowing down the references?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Best-practice for selecting multiple references in order to generate citation

Post by Jon »

You shouldn't be using the selected references, you should be using the Hits. Mark the reference you want (click in the checkbox in front of them). Then do a live search and mark the next one, etc. When ready, use Biblio -> Bibliography to output the marked references.

Jon
Sonny Software
Adam Smith

Re: Best-practice for selecting multiple references in order to generate citation

Post by Adam Smith »

I meant making in-text citations with multiple references, not the bibliography. Like this (Fernyhough, 2008; Slade et al., 2004; Fearon et al., 2010; McMahon & Meins, 2012; Licata et al., 2013).
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You mean temporary citations that will be replaced when you scan, right? The same approach using the hits might apply in this case, too. Mark each reference you want to cite, the click on the Hits group, select the references in the list, and Command-Y.

But know that they don't all have to be inserted between the same set of curly brackets. This works, too:

{temp cite1}{temp cite 2}{temp cite 3}

as long there are no spaces between them.

Also, take a look at Floating Citations in the User Guide. You might find that more useful than scrolling through the library itself.

Jon
Sonny Software
Adam Smith

Post by Adam Smith »

Thank you very much! Always working with the hit list is the key.