formatting citations with bookends

Users asking other users for bibliography formats.
madpoli

formatting citations with bookends

Post by madpoli »

Hello,

I have several aspects that I'd like to modify in the citation style. Listing them here..

1) is there a way to tell Bookends to add "Editor-in-Chief" after the editor only after the first editor, and if there is an editor? I have the current settings in the field order for the bibliography for an entry that has 2 editors: a person, and a research center (the and Qinghua daxue Chutu wenxian yan- jiu yu baohu zhongxin 清華大學出土文獻研究與保護中心). (For some reasons, in my field it's a convention to list the center as an editor. Not very handy).

Code: Select all

a. t. $Translated by $u3*. e $Editor-In-Chief$. $Volume no.$u3*. v, l: u, d. 
Which then returns
"Qing Hua Da Xue Cang Zhan Guo Zhu Jian (Jiu) 清華大學藏戰國竹簡(玖) (Warring States Bamboo Slips in the Collection of Tsinghua University Nine). Li Xueqin 李學勤, and Qinghua daxue Chutu wenxian yan- jiu yu baohu zhongxin 清華大學出土文獻研究與保護中心 Editor-In-Chief. Volume no. 9, Shanghai: Zhongxi shuju, 2019."

This is not really what I'd like. I'd like to have "Editor-in-Chief" only after Li Xueqin 李學勤. So that the ideal final result is
"Qing Hua Da Xue Cang Zhan Guo Zhu Jian (Jiu) 清華大學藏戰國竹簡(玖) (Warring States Bamboo Slips in the Collection of Tsinghua University Nine). Li Xueqin 李學勤 Editor-In-Chief. and Qinghua daxue Chutu wenxian yan- jiu yu baohu zhongxin 清華大學出土文獻研究與保護中心 Volume no. 9, Shanghai: Zhongxi shuju, 2019."

2) Secondly, having the settings above, this means that I end up having "Editor-in-Chief" and "Volume no." in any book citation, even those that do not have editors or volumes. If I select another entry in Bookends, the example in the Formats Manager shows both are present:
Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 1.54.37 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 1.54.37 PM.png (54.39 KiB) Viewed 4255 times
3) My footnote citation has titles in bold. I cannot figure out why. I looked everywhere, both in Bookends and in Mellel (styles etc). I do not have the "t" bold in the "field order", just in italics.
Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 1.54.37 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 1.54.37 PM.png (54.39 KiB) Viewed 4255 times

Hope at least some of it is clear! Thank you!
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 1.57.10 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 1.57.10 PM.png (172.28 KiB) Viewed 4255 times
Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 1.56.31 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 1.56.31 PM.png (22.3 KiB) Viewed 4255 times
Jon
Site Admin

Re: formatting citations with bookends

Post by Jon »

#1. That can't be done by the format, but you achieve the same end by entering the name in the reference as

Li Xueqin 李學勤 Editor-In-Chief.,

Notice the comma at the end -- this tells Bookends to leave the text as entered, not parse it as a name.

#2. There are several ways to deal with empty fields. Please refer to the User Guide: When a field is empty, p. 236. The simplest is to use spaces to indicate when the fields before it have content (it's explained in the guide). Spaces inside $ quotes don't count. So in your example, start with this and modify as needed (not tested)

a. t. $Translated by $u3*. e. $Volume no. $v, l: u, d.

If you never want the volume output, remove v from the order.

#3. What you see in the Bookends examples is what Bookends sends Mellel. Mellel has its own style rules that will override what Bookends sends. To see if thats the case here, insert that citation into a footnote in Word (or NWP) and scan it there. If you still see the bold then it's not a Mellel issue and you should contact Bookends tech support.

Jon
Sonny Software