Include type of reference in Summary format ?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
leonoraresearch

Include type of reference in Summary format ?

Post by leonoraresearch »

Hello, I am using Bookends for citation and I also use the import of the Summary file to Devonthink as the way to manage my references holistically in DT.

I see other posts about editing the Summary format, but I can't seem to figure out how to actually add the type of reference to the Summary format, since that is not a field itself, but rather something that you have to choose when creating the reference.

In other words, within my Bookends import in Devonthink, I want to be able to filter there for books, journal articles, law review articles, etc. How would I add that information to the Summary format that is imported into DT so that it's available there?

And for that matter, I don't see a way to easily limit my searches in Bookends by type of reference-- is that possible in the search field and I'm just not seeing it?

Thank you.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Include type of reference in Summary format ?

Post by Jon »

You can do both of those.

1. You'll find that information in the User Guide section on formatting. But Bookends also gives you help by providing a popup menu with all of the options underneath the format's Order field. Click on it (it's called Fields) and scroll down. You'll see Type {y}. Select it to have Bookends insert the letter y for you, or now that you know simply enter y from the keyboard where you want the type output. If you are unfamiliar with editing formats, the User Guide has all the information you need. This video tutorial may be enough, and is worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CowJRIualSQ

2. Use Find (Command-F) to find references by Type (and other criteria if you like). If you do this frequently, you can create smart groups that do the same thing.

Jon
Sonny Software
leonoraresearch

Re: Include type of reference in Summary format ?

Post by leonoraresearch »

Thanks very much!