Observations on highlighting text

A place to discuss Bookends for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
DrJJWMac

Observations on highlighting text

Post by DrJJWMac »

I have a few observations on how we can highlight and work with highlighted text.

When we select text, we get a scrollable set of menu options as below.

<<< Copy | Text Highlight | PDF Note | Notecard | Quote | Copy Link | Underline | >>>

When we click on the highlighted text, we get pop-up selectable menu options as below. The pop-up sub-options for Type use icons rather than words.

Copy | (Trash Can Icon) | Note | Type | Color | Opacity

Comparing the two menu lists shows that they organize the actions in different ways. To bring consistency to the organization in the two menus, I suggest that the scrollable menu on selected text should read in the order as below. Note also especially the use of ICONS for the TYPE of highlight and the word Comment instead of PDF Note. Both of these changes are consistent with the pop-up sub-options for Note or Type.

<<< Copy | Copy Link | Create Link || Comment | Notecard | Quote || Highlight ICON | Underline ICON | Squiggle ICON | Strikethrough ICON || Speak | Define | Wikipedia || Share >>>

One issue arises when a Comment is attached to a highlighted text. The only way to access the Comment is to select the highlighted text, select the Note option, and finally select the Comment option. Three clicks. It is not possible simply to click on the icon for the Comment box itself to jump directly to the Comment. I hope in the future we can simply click on the Comment icon attached to highlighted text and be directed immediately to the Comment itself.
--
JJW
Serge

Re: Observations on highlighting text

Post by Serge »

We plan to modernized menus in future releases of Bookends for iOS, as the third party PSPDFKit component we use implements them. As for the Comment (Note) icon, we already sent them a request to make it tappable. So, to make it happen, please also write to them and suggest an improvement to their PDF Viewer app (probably they already implemented this feature). They are more likely implement it if multiple users request it.
DrJJWMac

Re: Observations on highlighting text

Post by DrJJWMac »

I've sent an email request to sales at pspdfkit dot com. It points to this posting and requests the ability to tap on the icon directly.

Thanks for the prompt response here.
--
JJW