1. Online Searches Timeout and 2. Johns Hopkins Filter

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Voyager

1. Online Searches Timeout and 2. Johns Hopkins Filter

Post by Voyager »

Dear all,

I just updated to the latest Bookends version, but keep having problems with online searches and some filters.

1. Various online search requests simply end with "timeout". (No matter what author, journal article or book I'm looking for.) I usually help myself by then using opening WorldCat through the Bookends Browser, which produces good results. However, it takes a lot more time than what I was used to with the online searches.

2. Johns Hopkins U Filter stopped working altogether.

I'd be very grateful for any help or advice.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: 1. Online Searches Timeout and 2. Johns Hopkins Filter

Post by Jon »

University library Z39.50 servers come and go with some frequency. The connection information can change, the servers may be non-responsive, the service could have been discontinued, etc.If a connection stops working you can search for the institution and it's 39.50 access information, and if it has changed since the filter was created enter it in the import filter's Internet tab. Or contact the library yourself and to make sure the service is available and you should have access privileges. If so, see if the contact information has changed.

I did a search for Johns Hopkins and found new Z39.50 connection information, but it timed out (server not responding). I also found a server for Johns Hopkins MUSE collection, which does work. I'll add that in the next update. If you want to use it now, please contact tech support at support@sonnysoftware.com and I'll send it to y ou.

Jon
Sonny Software
Voyager

Re: 1. Online Searches Timeout and 2. Johns Hopkins Filter

Post by Voyager »

Thank you so much, Jon! That's very helpful