Workflow- viewing 2 PDFs and/or Notecards

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Sarah1986

Workflow- viewing 2 PDFs and/or Notecards

Post by Sarah1986 »

I'm looking for examples of workflows that allow working on one PDF (in this case, a thesis I'm marking) whilst being able to search, view and read other PDF's in my library.

As I'm marking the thesis - I'm making use of the notecards feature to prepare my examiners report. I need to be able to check the 'works cited'. The student has provided some of their reference list (which is in my Bookends Library), but not all. This means nearly every sentence I'm having to search for the works cited and then navigate back to the thesis.

Is there a way to keep the thesis PDF pinned or open in another floating window?(I'm thinking similar to Scrivener's Quick Reference window) ?

I know I can open the PDF separately in preview- but I quite like the Bookends notecards feature (and I'm using headers/tags features), so I would prefer being able to access the notecards feature.
The quickest way I've found is to use PDF tabs, but its still alot of clicking around.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Workflow- viewing 2 PDFs and/or Notecards

Post by Jon »

This sounds like PDF tabs are a good solution. Why do you say they require a lot of clicking around? It should be a single click. Let's explore why you think that's not a good option.

There is another option, which I'm not particularly keen on but I think will do what you want. Make a copy of the library and switch between them (click on the window, use the Windows menu, or Command-`). Show the PDF and the note stream in the "main" library, do any exploration work you need in the other library.

Jon
Sonny Software\

P.S. It is also possible to show the PDF in a standalone reference window (an option in Settings), but the note stream won't know about it.