Exporting References to Markdown Potential Bug - Slow to Generate Notes

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
ctg7w6

Exporting References to Markdown Potential Bug - Slow to Generate Notes

Post by ctg7w6 »

Hello!

I think there may be a bug. Could be wrong though. I selected about 1000 references and exported the notes to a markdown file using the built in export feature.

This is the same feature that allows exporting the PDF annotations along with them.

But I only had it generate the text notes from the Notes pane along with the text of the reference citation.

Yet, it took over 10 hours to generate the 20 MB markdown file and the entire time Bookends was running at 100% cpu usage.

I suspect that it was actually going through every PDF to get the annotations even though I made sure that option wasn’t selected and also the final markdown file did not have those extracted annotations.

It’s the only thing I can think of that would make it take ten hours.

Also, just wondering: would it be possible to add an option to generate individual markdown files for each reference? I ended up using mdsplit, a script that broke the final file into the 1000 individual files I wanted, but it would be cool to have a feature to select however many references you want and then have a bunch of individual files and have them named in whatever format you want (example: author last name author first name initial title year).

The feature request is no big deal if not possible, but something really seems to be up when generating just a citation and just the notes from the notes pane takes 10 hours for 1000 references.

Hope this helps!! Love the software!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Exporting References to Markdown Potential Bug - Slow to Generate Notes

Post by Jon »

Would you please contact support@sonnysoftware and send (1) your compressed library, (2) a screen snap of how you've configured the output, and (3) tell me which format you are using? When try what you've described I don't see any such lag, it's pretty fast. But I may not be doing exactly what you are, and your notes are likely to be much larger than in my test libraries. If the compressed library is too large to attach, you can upload it to a server (e.g. Dropbox) and send me the link.

As for individual files, I don't know if there is much demand for that. It would be pretty easy to post-process the text file with a Terminal command or an AppleScript (which is what I gather you did).

Jon
Sonny Software
ctg7w6

Post by ctg7w6 »

Sure, I'd be happy to. How do I compress my library?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

In the Finder, select it and. use File -> Compress.

Jon
Sonny Software
ctg7w6

Post by ctg7w6 »

Thank you so much. I've sent an email with the information for all the steps being completed.