Bookends 9: Bundle = nice & some cursor glitches in draw

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
ozean

Bookends 9: Bundle = nice & some cursor glitches in draw

Post by ozean »

Thanks for providing the new version! I really like the fact that the app folder got much easier to understand by make Bookends a bundled app. From my perspective there remains one thing to solve: move the server related to the ~/Application Support/Bookends folder too. This is the only thing that I have to manually drag out of the folder and back in after each update of Bookends – a process that I sometimes forget in spite of your warning in the .dmg…

I noticed a few glitches regarding the cursor in the new drawer containing the additional fields. When I move around in an entry in the drawer using Alt+left or right arrow the cursor won't be displayed anymore and I have to guess where it actually is.

Other than that this seems to be a solid update. Still happy that I invested time and money into this app :)
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi ozean,

Please contact me off-forum about what you would like moved where.

What's ALT-left and ALT-right?

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Post by ozean »

Alt+[left arrow] and Alt+[right arrow] are standard OS X keyboard shortcuts for moving the cursor one word to the left or one word to the right.

Regarding the bug that I reported (missing display of the cursor): To my surprise the cursor display worked fine today... I'll keep an eye on it and will keep you informed if I encounter it again.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Honestly, I don't know what Alt is. Is that the Option key? The Control key? The Command key?

Jon
Sonny Software
mtauton

Post by mtauton »

Alt is the option key on a Mac keyboard.
ozean

Post by ozean »

Yup, Alt=Option (the key next to the apple key, on my keyboard it has a symbol that looks like a railway switch).
Does it say alt only on German Mac keyboards?
:shock:
If I remember correctly, my first generation US-keyboard iBook had both alt and option printed on the option key…
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Ha, you're right. I never looked (for years, anyway -- I think they added it for PC people). You're right. And yes, it should work without losing the cursor in the drawer (it doesn't for me, and I gather now it doesn't for you). Note that Mac OS X 10.3 has bugs in it that affect drawers, so some glitches you may see work well in Tiger (which is what I use).

Jon
Sonny Software
the_DZA

Weird Keyboard Jumps

Post by the_DZA »

Just ordered my code for Bookends at last: have been trying it for a while and it does seem to be better than Sente.

Speaking of weird keyboard behaviours there is something I've noticed, Jon, which is when TABing between input boxes when making a new reference, the cursor doesn't consistently move from box to box. In particular under type 'Newspaper Article' as you go down through the lower boxes it doesn't stop on 'Month/Day' - which is a bit of a pain if you have been entering dozens of newspaper articles (as I have today!).

Good stuff otherwise,

Daniel
:P
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

Thanks. Hm, it does stop on Month/Day for me. But the tab order may not be exactly what you expect. It was set when Bookends 7 was released, and the original order has been mainted ever since for reasons dealing with backwards compatibility. If you get to Notes, the next tab takes you to Month/Day.

Jon
Sonny Software
nicka

Post by nicka »

On the subject of Option (or Alt), it would be nice if Option-Delete deleted the word before the cursor, as in TextEdit, Mail, Mellel and many other applications.
It's not a big thing, but since most other applications that you can type in do this now, I keep surprising myself by trying to use it in Bookends and finding it doesn't work.

(Sorry if this has been mentioned here before. I had a feeling it has but did a search and couldn't find it.)
ozean

Post by ozean »

nicka wrote:On the subject of Option (or Alt), it would be nice if Option-Delete deleted the word before the cursor, as in TextEdit, Mail, Mellel and many other applications.
Yup, this would be handy