More than one computer (a user has no need for this)

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
happycatmachine

More than one computer (a user has no need for this)

Post by happycatmachine »

Hello,

The wording of the FAQ on the topic of using bookends on more than one computer at a time reads as follows:
Note that you can not run Bookends on more than one computer simultaneously (a single user has no need for this).
When I was looking for a reference manager and Bookends was recommended, this "a single user has no need for this" almost lost the sale. It's a bit condescending and inconsiderate to think this. If I have both my laptop and my desktop at home with both turned on, and I decide to go to a place with no wifi connection and my laptop, it's very likely that I forget to quit Bookends on my desktop.

What I'm more concerned about is: will I run into conflicts or potential database corruption if I happen to run it on more than one computer? That would inform me so that I can make intelligent choices about how I use the software. What about iOS and desktop versions, those can be open at the same time, is there potential for database corruption?

I'm sorry to bring this up as it seems rather critical, but it was a perception I had early on when making a buying decision. I love Bookends, it's far more usable than Zotero or other tools I've used. Thanks much.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: More than one computer (a user has no need for this)

Post by Jon »

The single user restriction that you can't use Bookends on two different computers at once is an anti-piracy measure. I hope you understand.

I think you misunderstand how this situation is handled. If Bookends is running on one Mac and you launch it on another, you will be given the option to tell Bookends on the first computer to quit (which can accept or decline). If you accept, simply keep working on the second computer. There is no opportunity for database corruption, Bookends quits as it normally does. And this has nothing to do with Bookends for iOS, which like all iOS apps abides by Apple's App Store safeguards. In other words, you can use Bookends on two (or more) Macs, just not simultaneously, and how this is handled is entirely safe. And in your hypothetical, if there is no network access Bookends will launch even if you left it running on your other Mac. If you or anyone else has questions like this, you can ask on the forum (as you did) or write to us before buying and we'll explain.

BTW, since you brought up potential database corruption, I'll take this opportunity to suggest you (everyone, actually) use Bookends cloud sync, if you don't already. It syncs just data, not files, so if anything were to go wrong with your database structure (corruption) you have an up-to-date backup in the cloud that can be downloaded as a new library file.

Jon
Sonny Software
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

I suggest that @happycatmachine is simply suggesting that the phrasing ... (a single user has no need for this) ... might simply be eliminated. In follow up to your description ...
Note that you cannot run Bookends with the same license key simultaneously on more than one computer. If you attempt to do so, you will be given an option to close one or the other instance of Bookends.
> BTW, since you brought up potential database corruption, I'll take this opportunity to suggest you (everyone, actually) use Bookends cloud sync,

My continued frustration with BE cloud sync is simply that iCloud syncing is ... unreliable.

Since you mention it here, would you comment on whether the File->Backup ... menu option in Bookends is a robust option with regard to the intent to maintain reliable and uncorrupted backups. Does it do any sanity checking on the database (as opposed to the attachments) before creating the backup?

Also, does using Bookends WiFi sync provide the same assurance in recovering from a corrupt database as you mention for Bookends iCloud sync?
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I wish you'd start another thread about your questions, they deal with very different issues.

I disagree Bookends cloud sync is unreliable. PDF sync (which is independent of Bookends) can have some latency issues due to Apple. If you find that the data sync is problematic please create a new thread and describe what issues you are having. Or contact tech support.

File -> Backup does a Verify before the backup. So yes, there is a sanity check.

As for wifi sync (with iOS), I believe it provides some level of ability to recreate a damaged library. But I'd have to see what Serge says about it being as robust as cloud sync.

Jon
Sonny Software
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

My reservations about iCloud (and CloudKit) for syncing things remain. Yes, latency and robustness are two different things. Otherwise, I mean absolutely no disrespect, and indeed full respect, to Bookends.

Thanks also for the clarifications on File-> Backup. I look for the report on WiFi sync, where ever you decide best to post.
--
JJW
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Thank you, kind of you to say that.

WRT iCloud data sync (not iCloud file sync, which unlike the data sync is exposed to users), if you have general qualms based on what you've read or observed, I can't comment. But if you have particular issues with Bookends cloud sync, please contact us. There are occasional issues we have to deal with, but in my experience, and based on user feedback, it is fast, transparent, and robust. If you ever find it isn't, we'd like to know so we can investigate and, if necessary, fix any problems that we can control.

Jon
Sonny Software
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

Just a general FYI on CloudKit and iCloud.

https://eclecticlight.co/2024/02/22/icl ... after-all/

Otherwise, I prefer and greatly appreciate using WiFi sync in BE. It allows me a finer control over what does and does not sync.
--
JJW
Serge

Post by Serge »

When Wi-Fi syncing your Bookends library from iOS to the new library on macOS, such as when the original library is missing, you will retrieve all your data that was previously synced to iOS. However, please note that text styles and smart groups are excluded from this process since they are not included in the Wi-Fi sync.
DrJJWMac

Post by DrJJWMac »

Thank you Serge.
--
JJW