Superb improvement of Journal Glossary

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Nhaps

Superb improvement of Journal Glossary

Post by Nhaps »

Version 15 brings a welcome search feature to journal glossary. Thank you! I was missing that. I notice that one has to choose a column sort by clicking the bar prior to using search. For next version a global search on the glossary would be an added convenience, without having to sort a column. But that is not urgent. The double click allows one edit the entry right on the glossary without a pop-up window, which is faster. Another convenience would be to have the tab key move to the next column instead of having to double click it. Minor details though. Once again, thank you for this timely improvement.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Superb improvement of Journal Glossary

Post by Jon »

Thank you, I'm glad you like the new UI. For me, the biggest improvement is the massive increase in journals the Medline glossary, which now contains over 19000 journals, compared to a bit over 800 in the old Concise Medline glossary. This was made possible by rewriting the search logic in the formatter, resulting in a speed increase of more than an order of magnitude. I'll make note of your suggestions.

Jon
Sonny Software
Nhaps

Post by Nhaps »

Great for medline users!
Nhaps

Post by Nhaps »

For a future version it would be nice if we could import abbreviations into our own glossaries
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

How so? The glossary is simply a tab-delimited text file. To import a entry you''d need to create one yourself with 3 columns, save it, and import it. I don't know why anyone would want to do that rather than enter the information in the glossary directly. Note that you can open the glossary in any app that can read text files, edit it there, and save it back (with the .gloss extension). So if you wanted to edit it in a spreadsheet, say, you can.

Jon
Sonny Software
Nhaps

Post by Nhaps »

I think I mistakenly assumed the following words to have something to do with importing references into my own custom glossary, that’s why I asked.

“For me, the biggest improvement is the massive increase in journals the Medline glossary, which now contains over 19000 journals, compared to a bit over 800 in the old Concise Medline glossary. This was made possible by rewriting the search logic in the formatter, resulting in a speed increase of more than an order of magnitude”

The reason for the idea of importing is that it would save me time if done in batches. I deal with a lot of them. I will try your suggestion of using my glossary in another app like excel for Mac.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Import from where? From another glossary? Or a third party source?

Jon
Sonny Software
Nhaps

Post by Nhaps »

Both. Whatever could work to streamline the process of increasing the number of abbreviations
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That kind of open ended request isn't very useful. If you have no workflow in mind I have no idea what kind of solution would be appropriate or feasible. Since you can open the glossary in any text editor or spreadsheet and edit it there, there are many ways you can add or edit entries in bulk, it doesn't have to be done in the Bookends UI. If you have specific use scenarios please write to support@sonnysoftware.com.

Jon
Sonny Software
Nhaps

Post by Nhaps »

Ok thanks for the explanation.
Nhaps

Post by Nhaps »

Thank you for the nice improvements in version 15.0.1. I love it.
Nhaps

Post by Nhaps »

Suggestions for a future version:

1. Enable search for any word of the title. As of now, either searching or typing applies to only the first word of the work. If user recalls only the middle part of a work she is out of luck.

2. Enable searching of either title or abbreviation without having to click either column to activate the sorting.

3. Enable a way to signal errors like two different works using the same abbreviation.

Thanks again for the current improvements, it has saved me a lot of time already.