Barcode scan

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
danzac

Barcode scan

Post by danzac »

I love the new feature of scanning, wonderful! Perhaps it is not possible, but it would be ideal if Library of Congress was used (or at least the option to use it first, google books second). The reason is that I want the LOC Call number, but Google Books doesn't provide this information.
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Barcode scan

Post by Jon »

Hm, that's not something I''d be inclined to do. Maybe your experience is different, but the LOC often (usually for me) doesn't identify an ISBN that Google Books and other book repositories do. I do have another possible source for ISBN searches that I'm considering, but it works far better than the LOC does.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

And although I know it's more involved than you like, remember that when you scan you can right-click on the "found" window and copy the ISBN. You can paste this into a LOC online search and import from there, if it's found.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I've reconsidered this request and will add the Library of Congress as another source of book metadata when doing a Quick Add (text or barcode scan) using an ISBN.

Jon
Sonny Software
danzac

Post by danzac »

That’s great, thanks so much!
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~