"Move Field..." (new-user question)

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
SteveJ

"Move Field..." (new-user question)

Post by SteveJ »

I'm evaluating the new version, with the idea of perhaps (finally!) buying Bookends to replace the Odious Competitor. I will probably have several questions; this is the first.

In importing references from Odious Competitor (via XML), the Book Title for items of type "Book Chapter" ended up in the Bookends field "Series Title" rather than in "Volume Title." My question: is there any way of globally fixing this? I see that Refs > Global Change > Move Field... can operate on the hits list, but I don't see how to create a hits list of items of type "Book Chapter" except manually; that is, it doesn't seem possible to use Refs > Find... to search for items by reference type. If I buy Bookends, I will have to fix this problem (and perhaps similar problems) on thousands of records. Is there any way to avoid doing this by hand?

Thanks,
Steve
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi SteveJ,

Yes, you can do a Find for reference Type (look near the top of the Find dialog:

[checkbox] where Type is/is not [Type pop-up menu]

BTW, was that EN 7 or 8/9 XML? I see why it imports to the wrong field.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I see the problem (EN 7 XML). Download Bookends 9 again, it has been taken care of.

Jon
Sonny Software
SteveJ

Post by SteveJ »

Jon--

Sorry for missing the "type" line in the Find... dialog; not as though it's hard to see. Thanks for the fix.

Best,
Steve