Multiple citations for same book, downloading article info

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
zoe12345

Multiple citations for same book, downloading article info

Post by zoe12345 »

These are such newbie questions... but I'd still really appreciate help. I have gone through the notes but find them difficult to understand. Am very excited about bookends but it will take a bit of learning.

Two questions now:

i) How do I make multiple entries for an edited book so that several articles from the same book have their own citations?

ii) Where and how can I download article information for Journals? Is it possible or is the only short-cut through journal glossary?

Thanks very much for your help!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Multiple citations for same book, downloading article in

Post by Jon »

zoe12345 wrote:i) How do I make multiple entries for an edited book so that several articles from the same book have their own citations?
Open the reference window and use Edit-> Copy/Paste References. A Duplicate Reference option will be added in a future version.
ii) Where and how can I download article information for Journals? Is it possible or is the only short-cut through journal glossary?
I'm not sure what you mean, exactly. But if you mean you want to do online searches and import references from the Internet, use Utilitites -> Internet Search. The major site for journal info is PubMed (biomedical literature). If you have a proprietary site in mind (and have a userid/password), you can probably make your own import filter to search it if they support the Z39.50 protocol. If not, you can search in your browser and import references downloaded with that.

Jon
Sonny Software
zoe12345

Thanks and follow-up question

Post by zoe12345 »

Thanks, that was very quick.

I use JSTOR mainly but can just noticed that I can download citations as a text file.

Bookends, however, does not read the text file. Individual citations look like the one below. Do I have to add something for bookends to read it?
Thanks again,

<8>
IT : BRV
GR :
TI : Breaking the News: A Review Essay
FT :
AU : Graber, Doris A.
RT : Breaking the News: How the Media Undermine American Democracy
RA : Fallows, James
SO : Political Science Quarterly
S2 :
VO : 111
NO : 4
SE :
DA : Winter, 1996-1997
PP : 689-694
EI : http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0032-3 ... 0.CO%3B2-W
IN : 00323195
AB :
KW :
PB : Academy of Political Science
LO :
LA :
CR : Copyright 1996 The Academy of Political Science
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

We have a filter for JSTOR. Just enable it (File -> Import Filter Manager). Then use it with the text output.

Jon
Sonny Software
zoe12345

Thanks

Post by zoe12345 »

Already downloaded several references from JSTOR and figured out how I can capitalise my other references to be consistent with the JSTOR ones.

Very clever software, don't know how I've gotten along without it.

Thanks!!!

ps. When you make the feature where you can automatically copy info for edited books and make several chapters, perhaps the name of the editor and the title could also automatically change place.