Usage issue: 1 database or several smaller databases

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
spd

Usage issue: 1 database or several smaller databases

Post by spd »

Just a quick usage inquiry: currently I have several databases (small yet) divided according to category (history, literature, film, etc). Are most of you simply using one large database instead of smaller one? What are the advantages to unifying the database (apart from convenience). What about any disadvantages?

Thanks in advance.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Others can tell you their experiences. Personally, I see no reason not to go with one large db (and many reasons why this has advantages).

Jon
Sonny Software
Sue

Single databases

Post by Sue »

One single database is what I prefer.

Bookends allows you to create groups for managing references for specific projects, one of many reasons why it is better than Endnote. Keywords is another way to retrieve references associated with particular interests or projects.

Good luck with building your database!

Sue
danzac

Post by danzac »

i too see no reason to have several small DB (but make sure you are regularly maintaining your one main DB with the maintenance functions and backup copies!). You have many reference types that can be customed by you if you have subgroupings of art types, etc., and you can make smart groups that are specific to reference types or anything else you need. Essentially with using smart and static databases (and searches) you are making mini-db's inside your main-brain.

Good luck!
~I swore to myself that if I ever got to walk around the room as manager people would laugh as they saw me coming and applaud as I walked away~
spd

Post by spd »

Thanks everyone. Since I don't have that many references now, it won't be that hard to add the other categories to the main db. Mostly I was concerned about ease of browsing, thus the different categories. But keywords will work, too.