Add "ID." for same author name in same footnote?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
eleuteruiz

Add "ID." for same author name in same footnote?

Post by eleuteruiz »

When in a footnote two titles by the same author follow each other, it is common (at least in my research field) that you have to write the author name only in the first instance, and then only "ID." (for "idem"), like:

LOHFINK, Deuteronomium, 122; ID., Psalm 6, 32.

Is it common in other formats?
It would be nice to have it automatically done by BE...

Thank you.
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

at least it is common in german social sciences.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Doesn't the format option 'Replace repeated authors with' work for you? The default is ——— (3 emdashes), but you could enter ID. in that field.

Jon
Sonny Software
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

There is a problem with this option in germanspeakiong bibliographies: "Ders." is used for male authors, "Dies." for female authors as well as for multiple authors male and female.
eleuteruiz

Post by eleuteruiz »

In fact, "ID." should not work in bibliographies (there it is ok with dashes for me), but in footnotes.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I know. I mean, if you are using a custom citation format, and the custom format has this set (in the bib section), does Bookends use it in the resultant footnotes? It may or may not, I really don't know. But worth a try.

Jon
Sonny Software
eleuteruiz

Post by eleuteruiz »

I am really sorry, but it does not work adding "ID." there.
In fact, it works -as you know- with repeated citations, i.e., when two succesive footnotes contain the same citation (same author AND same title).
The situation I propose is nearer to that one for author-date citations, which you have included in the new features:

"When scanning a document with a format that creates author-date citations, this option will cause Bookends to omit the name of an author after the first occurrence in a citation group. This means, for example, that (Smith, 2004; Smith, 2005a, Smith 2005) would be output as (Smith, 2004, 2005a, 2005b)."

but instead of omitting the author name, it should have "ID."; and instead of the year, anything else of the custom footnote format.