"Oxford style" format - similar format, or downloa

Users asking other users for bibliography formats.
waawa

"Oxford style" format - similar format, or downloa

Post by waawa »

Hi all,

I've used Bookends for a little while, for simple projects - always just with TextEdit and Harvard format. So I'm a bit of a newbie. I'm also using Mellel for the first time (for the footnote handling), so I'm feeling a little at sea!

This semester I'm doing a History unit and need to cite in "Oxford Style", detailed here.

http://www.usq.edu.au/library/help/ehel ... oxford.htm

http://www.deakin.edu.au/studentlife/ac ... ocnote.php

Is Oxford format the same as another format already in Bookends, or a slight tweak thereof? Or is there an Oxford format I can download somewhere?

Many thanks

Lara
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Perhaps someone has created this and will let us know. If not, I can do this when I have a bit of time.

Jon
Sonny Software
waawa

Post by waawa »

Thanks!

Lara
waawa

Post by waawa »

Hi, just following up on this thread to say that I still haven't found this format, so if anyone's stumbled across it I'd really appreciate it. Will have to do this week's paper by hand, I think :/ Luckily, it's a short one!

Thanks

Lara
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It's in the 9.0.4 beta package.

If you don't want to download the whole thing, or can't wait for 9.0.4 final, please email me and I'll send just the Oxford format to you.

Jon
Sonny Software
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus »

I guess it's a little late for your paper, but from my "Oxford Guide to Style" the format looks very similar to MHRA, so you could probably use that with some small modifications.

Tacitus
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to escape.
waawa

Post by waawa »

Thanks Tacitus - unfortunately the "Oxford" style we're being told to use is nothing like the "Oxford" style in the next v of Bookends, that Jon kindly sent me. Same names, different formats! I have modified the Turabian format a little to suit, but I'll have a look at MHRA.

Lara
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Lara,

I created an Oxford author-date format. You may have wanted the humanities format (I didn't know which). If MHRA works much better, please let me know and I'll modify that to be exactly what is needed and include it in the next update.

Jon
Sonny Software
waawa

Post by waawa »

Mm, it is a history class so perhaps what you refer to as the "humanities" format is it? All I know about the the format is that the URLs we're referred to to follow (which I put in my original message) call it the "documentary-note (Oxford) system", and that they are based on "the Style manual for authors, editors and printers, 6th edn, 2002."

Many thanks

Lara
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus »

waawa wrote:Mm, it is a history class so perhaps what you refer to as the "humanities" format is it? All I know about the the format is that the URLs we're referred to to follow (which I put in my original message) call it the "documentary-note (Oxford) system", and that they are based on "the Style manual for authors, editors and printers, 6th edn, 2002."

Lara
My copy of the Oxford guide to Style by R M Ritter was first published by OUP in 2002 so it's not the 6th edn. The alternative, the MHRA Style Guide also published in 2002. For those outside the UK, MHRA = Modern Humanities Research Association. Available at all good bookstores for around 5UK or you can download a .pdf from http://www.mhra.org.uk

Just checked your original post. The examples quoted look rather like one of the Chicago formats. What I suggest you do is take an example of (say) a book, a journal, book chapter and try formatting them for Chicago, Turabian footnote and perhaps MHRA.

See which is nearest to what you need. As a History undergrad, I was told that *exact* style doesn't matter (within reason) - consistency is more important. However, each University will have its own rules.

Hope this helps

Tacitus[/quote]
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to escape.
GridLok

Post by GridLok »

Hi Lara, I too have been asked to use the Oxford Documentary-note system of citations. A comprehensive description with examples is provided at: http://www.deakin.edu.au/studentlife/ac ... ocnote.php

I'm going to have a go at creating a new format in Bookends - as per the Users Guide. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Graeme
His hands were pure; but he had no hands.
Charles Peguy
waawa

Post by waawa »

Thanks Graeme! I'd love to hear if you manage to get a style together.

Thanks for your note Tacitus - in my university most of the lecturers I've had have been pretty strict with referencing style, often right down to punctuation details, often from the first year of undergraduate studies and certainly in second and third year.

Side note: I'm wondering if there's a technical issue with the forum display? When I view the thread, I can see my original post with the two URLs I posted to the style details (USQ and Deakin) - but a couple of people have responded in a way that makes me think those URLs aren't visible to them?

Thanks

Lara
GridLok

Post by GridLok »

Hey Lara, no, the URL'S are visible to me ... I was just tired and didn't read them carefully. I'll have a look at the other one and see if it affects what I'm doing with the format.

Graeme

:wink:
Charles Peguy
GridLok

Post by GridLok »

Lara, if your still watching this thread:

The Deakin U. site is the best I've found. However it doesn't cover 3 or more authors, or "translated by". These should be dealt with as follows:

1. 3 or more authors - Bibliography: Author, AB, CD Author & EF Author ...
Footnotes/Endnotes: AB Author, CD Author & EF Author ... (note change in first author)
2. Translated by: Use "... trans. AB Author, CD Author, ..."

Hope that makes sense - I pasted it from an email I sent Jon.

Graeme
Charles Peguy
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi all,

I've created an Oxford Notes format, based on the Deakin site, which will be included in the next update. If anyone would like it before then, please email me directly and I'll send it to you.

Jon
Sonny Software