New icon

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
prop

New icon

Post by prop »

Jon, please don't take this the wrong way, because I absolutely LOVE your software, and I think you provide the best support of any product, anywhere.

That being said, does anyone else think it's time for a new icon? This is a low-priority, purely subjective thought, but I for one would love a new one. As trivial as this might seem, users often make decisions on products solely based on appearance, and looking more "aqua-fied" could potentially help Bookends, IMHO...

Has this ever crossed your mind Jon, or are you happy with the current one such that you wouldn't consider designing a new one...

Just curious... :)
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi prop,

Actually, I didn't design the icons, they were done by a professional. What's wrong with the current ones (you have to have the Finder set to show more than 16 x 16 icons to see them rendered in high resolution for OS X)?

Jon
Sonny Software
eleuteruiz

Post by eleuteruiz »

One of the things I immediately loved in BE are the icons. They are really good!

I would instead consider a new design for the web page. It doesn't look very impressive to me, to be honest. Of course, it is not the most important thing, but perhaps it would encourage more people to discover this excellent software.
spd

Post by spd »

eleuteruiz wrote: I would instead consider a new design for the web page...... Of course, it is not the most important thing, but perhaps it would encourage more people to discover this excellent software.
Yes, even though more users may very well discover BE since EN charges for every upgrade and Sente now seems to be more for those in the sciences and medical field, a redesigned site certainly wouldn't hurt. Keep the cat logo, however.
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus »

spd wrote:
eleuteruiz wrote: I would instead consider a new design for the web page...... .
Keep the cat logo, however.
Am I correct in thinking the cat is/was named Sonny, and hence the name sonnysoftware? :-)

Tacitus
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to escape.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Tacitus,

Yes, you got it. If you click on the cat in the logo, there is a small blurb about this.

Jon
Sonny Software
spd

Post by spd »

Jon wrote:Hi Tacitus,

Yes, you got it. If you click on the cat in the logo, there is a small blurb about this.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon,

Is this information available elsewhere on the site? Or is it intended to be a reward for the curious? It's a great story about the provenance of BE.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It's an Easter egg. Completely unnecessary information, of course.

Jon
Sonny Software
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus »

Jon wrote:It's an Easter egg. Completely unnecessary information, of course.
Jon
Sonny Software
Can't remember where I picked up the story about Sonny the cat.

Fascinating how time flies. It made me realise I bought my first copy of BE from Nan Wieser at Westing, must have been around 95/96. It came on a single floppy with a printed manual.

I'm still using BE today, despite the Uni's efforts to flog us ENote and Ref manager - on Windows of course.

Tacitus
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to escape.