Handling "von" authors.

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
ablaze

Handling "von" authors.

Post by ablaze »

Can anyone explain to me how I should handle "von" authors best?

I have an author called "Franz von Liszt". I added him to BE as "Liszt, Franz von"

The problem is: He should appear in the alphabetically ordered bibliography under "L", but listed as "von Liszt, Franz", as this is a) his proper name, and b) the way this is handled in German bibliographies. Is this possible with BE?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

You should enter the name as

von Liszt, Franz

There is an option in the format (second tab) where you can tell Bookends to "Use Ignore List for Author". If checked, Bookends will ignore the words you have entered in Preferences (Scan & Bibliography tab) Author Ignore list. The word "von" should be entered in that list, along with any other "words" you want ignored when sorting the bibliography.

Jon
Sonny Software
hombre

Post by hombre »

Ah, thank you. I'm very pleased with BE's feature set. Thank you very much.

It would be nice to have some kind of Wiki where we - the users - and you alike, could build a nice place to make up a faq and some tutorials.

If your webhoster supports php, you could simply try pmwiki ( http://www.pmwiki.org ).

I've set up it many times now and it's really easy to handle. What do you think of this?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi hombre,

I think it's one more in a seemlingly endless list of things I would need to learn/implement/support! :-)

Actually, I think it's not a bad idea. This forum is supposed to provide some of that, but of course the information is not organized in any way.

I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion...

Jon
Sonny Software
Pat

Post by Pat »

I think it is a good idea to have a wiki, because then you will have an uptodate version of the manual and you allways keep track about changes done
Shayne

Post by Shayne »

Hi Jon,

Is it at all possible to get the "Use Ignore List for Author" to also apply to the List View? I also have many authors with “vonâ€
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Shayne,

In short, not now. The sort used in the List View is different from the bibliography, and doing what you want would slow things down considerably. They may perhaps be consolidated in the future, in which case this would be possible.

Jon
Sonny Software
Shayne

Post by Shayne »

Thanks for considering this Jon.

Kindest regards,
Shayne
talazem

Post by talazem »

Just wanted to voice my support for the List View "ignore list for author" as well. I know it's a technical limitation, but I just wanted to voice that more people than just Shayne would love to see this. :)
hareiko

"von" etc. in author fields

Post by hareiko »

The problem of "von" is not all that simple and definitely not flexible enough. If I follow the rules suggested a name like "von der Heide" would be listed under D "(von) der Heide". But one would normally look under either V or H. Also von not necessarily would mean a noble name. It could be simply part of the surname, like the dutch "van" or the French "de", which is not always a sign of nobility. And in Germany the surname of a noble person named "von Schneider" could be "Schneider" or "von Schneider" depending on time, since with the Weimar republic the particle "von" became part of the surname. And there are names like Liszt and Beetoven that are usually not used with their prefixes in normal text. I would want to cite "Liszt" or "Beethoven" in the manuscript text and therefore list them under "Liszt, Franz von" or "Beethoven, Ludwig van" in the bibliography. See what I mean.

It would mean that one would want the "von" sometimes as first part of the Family name (von Schneider, Henry) and the name should be listed under V, sometimes following the First names (Schneider, Henry von) and the name should be listed under S. In the latter case, however, words like von, van, de should not be abbreviated in the bibliography to v., v. or d.

Therefore I would appreciate another feature, which would solve my problems: Either an option in the preferences to select words in the firstname part of the author field, that should not be abbreviated, or an option preventing abbreviation of lower case first name parts.

Kind regards
Hareiko
palazzo

Post by palazzo »

On a related note, what would be the appropriate way of handling nobility titles? In this case, the correct output of a nobleman's name would be:

direct order:
Georges-Louis Leclerc, comte de Buffon
last name first:
Buffon, Georges-Louis Leclerc, comte de

I don't manage to get the output above by playing with comma positions in the name. If I input “Buffon, Georges-Louis Leclerc, comte deâ€
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If you terminate a name with a comma, Bookends will output it without parsing, which is useful for corporate names and, perhaps, in your situation:

Georges-Louis Leclerc, comte de Buffon,

Jon
Sonny Software
palazzo

Post by palazzo »

Good to know… But it still doesn't solve the problem of getting the fealty name (Buffon) to show up first in the bibliography. Anyway, I'm working around this issue by using a diacritic combining comma below after “Leclercâ€
ppiioottrr

Re: Handling "von" authors.

Post by ppiioottrr »

hello

I have found useful Jon's explanation:
"von Liszt, Franz

There is an option in the format (second tab) where you can tell Bookends to "Use Ignore List for Author". If checked, Bookends will ignore the words you have entered in Preferences (Scan & Bibliography tab) Author Ignore list. The word "von" should be entered in that list, along with any other "words" you want ignored when sorting the bibliography."

but I've got still a problem with "von" for which I cannot find an answer :(
I need the footnotes to appear after the first appearance only in a short form: surname and short title. but then I've got: VON Tischendorf instead of: von Tischendorf.
any idea how to solve it?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Handling "von" authors.

Post by Jon »

Hard to explain that. Please send me the reference in question (export it) and the format you are using. I'll try it myself.

Jon
Sonny Software