Two info drawer issues

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
eleuteruiz

Two info drawer issues

Post by eleuteruiz »

1) I read something about info drawer refresh elsewere, but I still don't see the advantage in refreshing the info drawer each time one switches back to BE from another application. It really diminishes the advantage of having the whole info visible there, if you have to scroll down again to reach back what you have been reading before.
It is perhaps a question of research field– I work on Biblical studies, and many times I have to switch from a reference given in an article (which I copied in my Abstracts field) to the Bible text (in Accordance, of course), to check it up. But then, when I go back to BE, I have to scroll down again to find that little reference in the middle of a -usually long- text.
Perhaps other users have the need of having the drawer refreshed each time. But it could just be resolves by clicking the reference again, or a shortcut, perhaps?

2) Is there (or could be added) a way to zoom up the image in Image tab? For pdf files, the image of the first page is usually too small, and -at least in my 12" Powerbook- you cannot read anything from it, so it is practically useless.

Thank you
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Two info drawer issues

Post by Jon »

eleuteruiz wrote:1) I read something about info drawer refresh elsewere, but I still don't see the advantage in refreshing the info drawer each time one switches back to BE from another application. It really diminishes the advantage of having the whole info visible there, if you have to scroll down again to reach back what you have been reading before.
I don't recall at the moment why I have it refresh when Bookends comes to the front. It may be because the selection can change in the background (for example, if you import references). I'll check into the need for this, and workaround if I can.
2) Is there (or could be added) a way to zoom up the image in Image tab? For pdf files, the image of the first page is usually too small, and -at least in my 12" Powerbook- you cannot read anything from it, so it is practically useless.
The image will enlarge to fit the Info Drawer. Sorry, if your screen isn't large enough for that, then it's not large enough to display a readable image. I find a 15" screen works OK.

Jon
Sonny Software
eleuteruiz

Re: Two info drawer issues

Post by eleuteruiz »

Jon wrote:
The image will enlarge to fit the Info Drawer.
Well, it is not always the case. Have a look at this:

Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I see, but I can't reproduce it here. Can anyone else on their Mac? If so, how?

One other thing...Bookends fits the image size to the size of the drawer while keeping the vertical and horizontal proportions. This way there is no distortion of the image. But it also means the image might not enlarge if you make the drawer wider, for example, without making it taller. Also, when the image is full sized, increasing the size of the drawer will have no effect.

Jon
Sonny Software
eleuteruiz

Post by eleuteruiz »

Well, now I cannot reproduce it myself anymore! :(

I just closed and restarted BE and now it works as you say.:?

Of course, it does not solve my 12" screen problem. Perhaps you could consider a zooming tool, like a side bar or something.

Thanks and best regards
Eleuterio
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Um, the drawer is a sidebar...

Zooming isn't terribly friendly. If your screen is too small to show a useful image, I think it would be easier to double-click on it an open it in Acrobat Reader or Preview, no? This is pretty fast.

Jon
Sonny Software
Last edited by Jon on Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eleuteruiz

Post by eleuteruiz »

In fact, that is what I am doing.

Thanks a lot.

Eleuterio
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

OK, here's a solution I've added to 9.0.5. If you double-click (or right-click) on the image with the Shift key held down, Bookends will enlarge the image in a new window in Bookends -- that is, it won't open in another app. This is a bit faster (and perhaps what you're asking for in any case). If you don't hold the Shift key down it will open in another app (like Adobe Acrobat) the way it does now. Better?

Jon
Sonny Software
eleuteruiz

Post by eleuteruiz »

Sound good. Thank you.
Now, while we wait for 9.0.5:
What happens then with the new window when you click in another reference (in list view)?
It would be nice if it would refresh the enlarged image with the new selected one.

Eleuterio
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

No, it's not a floating window dedicated to displaying the current image -- the image will remain as it was and you must close the window yourself. The basic problem you have is that your screen is too small for all the information you want to display at a glance. Having a large window open with the image is no different (actually worse) than enlarging the Info Drawer to see the image.

Jon
Sonny Software