colons in citations

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
mekenney

colons in citations

Post by mekenney »

I have been writing bibliography and citation formats to meet the requirements of the Classicals Journal Phoenix and have come up against a problem. I want my intext citations of books to show a page number when I cite a specific page, but occassionally I cite just the book. The format that I have is this: d: p-. (The period is part of the sentence, not the formatting). The problem is that the colon shows up regardless of whether I cite specific pages or not. I do not want the colon to show up when I do not cite pages. I have tried this, but it did not work: d$:$ p-. Is it possible for me to do what I want to do?

edit: I removed "semi-" so that I correctly ask about colons rather than semicolons.
Last edited by mekenney on Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ozean

Post by ozean »

If I understood you correctly (i.e. you mean colon ":" not semicolon ";") then try d~: ~p-.
mekenney

Post by mekenney »

Thanks. I intended to write colon. I guess I need to proofread everything that I write! Your formatting solved the problem. I do have one question. How did you now about the ~ symbol. It is not listed among the special characters in the manual, at least not in the section of the manual I have been relying upon (i.e., the section of formatting bibliographic styles).
ozean

Post by ozean »

I know it from discussions here in the forums, and because including possibilities this feature offers was one of my feature requests to Jon.

However, it is also written in the Bookends User Guide – my guess would be that you have an old version. Try downloading it again from this site and check out page 128ff.

http://www.sonnysoftware.com/BookendsUserGuide.pdf.zip
mekenney

Post by mekenney »

Thanks again. I do have an old manual. I have been downloading updates, but not manuals.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

The User Guide changes (usually slightly) with each update to detail the new features.

Jon
Sonny Software