questions about HITS

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.

questions about HITS

Post by guest »

Hello!

I have been using EndNote for quite some years now, but I recently came across Bookends and dowloaded the demo. Very nice!!
I'm very seriously considering to switch from EndNote to Bookends.

One thing still isn't all that clear to me though - maybe someone can help: I don't get the HITS list. The manual says that "The Hits List is a subset of references you have selected for sorting, deleting, printing, or otherwise manipulating.", but I guess I don't really understand the advantage of hits vs. all references. What can I do with hits that I can't do otherwise?

Any insights?

Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi guest,

The concept of a Hits List is rather simple: these are references that you have selected from the database, in a particular order, that you want to do something with.

You can make a reference a hit in many ways: Find, click on the Marked button, scan a document that has temporary citations for the references, etc.

What can you do with the hits?

1. Make a bibliography
2. Print
3. Export
4. Sort
5. Delete
6. Apply any Global Change operation to them
7. More things that don't come to mind at the moment

Note: you can also make ALL REFERENCES hits if you want. That is actually what happens when you select Refs -> Show All References

Also note, the Hits List will become just another group in Bookends 8. See here for a screen shot:

http://www.sonnysoftware.com/listview8.jpg

Jon
Sonny Software
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

just to note... this was extremely confusing to me too. all i wanted to do was export to xml all (of the 50 trial) references to try with jfile companion beta.

but all i saw was Export (hits) in the menu. i then went to the manual, and searched for export. no help there. then searched for hits. no help there either-- a lot of info about using hits but no simple explanation of what hits are or are supposed to do (as above), nor how to get all into hits.