Wildcards for "Don't change case:"

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
myeary

Wildcards for "Don't change case:"

Post by myeary »

Hello,

One issue that I've come across is the need to preserve case with suffixes or partial words. The most common example would be ordinal numbers: "19th" becomes "19Th" in title case, and simply adding "th" to the list of "Don't change case" terms does not help. Only when "th" appears by itself, without other adjacent characters, is the case preserved. This also occurs with titles that include "circa" dates, where "English cooking c.1500" becomes "English Cooking C.1500"

It seems that some sort of wildcard function would be required to handle these instances, such as "??th" or "*th". But this could get complicated: how to preserve case on "19th", but not "bath" or "tooth"? A specifically numerical wildcard?

Anyway, it's not too much trouble to correct these after generating the bibliography, but it sure would be nice if it were dealt with properly, someday...

- Mark
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

I think that if you excluded 19th (the whole word) Bookends would deal with it correctly. But I take your point. How do other applications deal with this sort of thing?

Jon
Sonny Software
elochs

change case

Post by elochs »

I am having a similiar problem with French titles. In a word like épître BE changes the first letter to give Epître. I cannot enter all the possible combinations of the several languages I use in the Don't Change Case dialog box. Isn't there a way to simply deactivate the Change Case function altogether?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

Of course. This is specified in the format you are using. You can edit the format to not change case (which is the default for most formats, of course). It is a pop-up menu option in the first tab.

Jon
Sonny Software
elochs

Change case

Post by elochs »

Good,

But ... which tab where (I have been using BE for about a week only)? I checked the format manager but it is not there. I spotlighted the user guide but dit not find it either.
Thanks.

Erwin
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Biblio -> Formats Manager -> Edit.

The is a section on the left under the word Case. Change the Title case to As Entered.

Jon
Sonny Software
elochs

Change case

Post by elochs »

Thanks,

Erwin