Term Lists

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
rickl

Term Lists

Post by rickl »

I really like the enhancements to term lists. Here are a few thoughts and suggestions:
  • The keyword filter works great.
  • Likewise the adjustable column widths.
  • Feedback on the Boolean search being performed is most welcome.
  • I'm thinking it might be better to have feedback of that sort from the first pinned item, so that you can be sure it really is pinned.
  • Ideally, we need a way to deselect all unpinned keywords. Let's say I have pinned two keywords and have a nice list of 15 references. I see another interesting keyword and click on it to see whether there are any references that share the pinned keywords and this new one, and find that there aren't. I can deselect that 3rd, unpinned keyword only by selecting another one, which also may give me nil results. It looks like there's no way to go back to seeing just those 15 pinned references.
  • This probably won't make me too popular with other users, but we seem to have gone a long time without paying for any upgrades, even though improvements are coming thick and fast!
rickl

Re: Term Lists

Post by rickl »

One extra thing that I forgot to mention: I've only just realized that we can reorder keywords by frequency of use. Is that a new feature, or is it something that we've had all along but I just never noticed?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

1. You can deselect any term by clicking on it with the Command key held down (this is standard Mac OS X list behavior).
2. I don't show the search if only one term is selected because it's pretty obvious what the search is -- I thought it would be redundant.
3. You can be sure an item is pinned because its appearance changes (to a medium gray).
4. Sorting by keyword frequency has always been there. I believe I pointed this out in the other thread you started on keywords (when you asked for tag clouds, and I said you can already reorder by frequency), but it's easy to miss something like this.
5. We have a ways to go before there will be another paid-for upgrade. I have an idea of what will trigger that, but no time frame yet. We certainly have more free upgrades in the pipeline.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

rickl wrote:
  • Ideally, we need a way to deselect all unpinned keywords. Let's say I have pinned two keywords and have a nice list of 15 references. I see another interesting keyword and click on it to see whether there are any references that share the pinned keywords and this new one, and find that there aren't. I can deselect that 3rd, unpinned keyword only by selecting another one, which also may give me nil results. It looks like there's no way to go back to seeing just those 15 pinned references.
Although you can do that with Command click, as I noted, I've added

Deselect All Unpinned Terms

as a right-click option in the next update.

Jon
Sonny Software
rickl

Post by rickl »

Thanks for the detailed explanation and for adding the new option. Sorry I keep missing obvious things. I hope at least mentioning them in the forum will help others searching on similar topics.

Number 5 sounds intriguing and fertile ground for guessing games!