NIH mandates use of PubMed Central ID# in all grant biblios

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
fanglord

NIH mandates use of PubMed Central ID# in all grant biblios

Post by fanglord »

Every grant application will now require either a URL or the PubMed Central ID number of every reference used in grant applications. From what I can gather, that information is not one of the data fields that gets downloaded with either Endnote or Bookends.

Does anyone know of a way to *automatically* get that information into a Bookends database? (or endnote, for that matter)
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That number (PMCID) is not yet part of the PubMed record. It is part of the PubMed Central record, though, so right now you could search PubMed Central in your browser, display the record as MEDLINE, and import that into Bookends (you'd need to tweak the PubMed filter to put the PMCID where you want it). I assume PubMed will add this shortly. If not, I'll look into making at least a PubMed Central filter.

Jon
Sonny Software
fanglord

Post by fanglord »

Thanks! I'll see what I can do. What I'd love is a way to take a database and have Bookends go download all the PMC ID#s automatically, like it does now with pdfs. That would be a very nice trick.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Well, Bookends has a feature that let's you easily update PubMed references so that any new info that was added would be downloaded again. If PubMed adds a PMCID, it would be as easy as selecting all your references and using Refs -> PubMed -> Update From PubMed. So let's hope they add PMCIDs.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Re: NIH mandates use of PubMed Central ID# in all grant biblios

Post by Jon »

The next update of Bookends will rename the Journal Article User16 field to PMCID, and references imported from PubMed that have a PMC tag will have that information imported into this field. If you have renamed the Journal Article User16 field to something else, your label will be left intact.
iayork

Post by iayork »

Will there be a way of auto-updating? In other words, for present BookEnds records that don't have PMCID info attached, will we have to re-enter each one manually, or will it be possible to have Bookends scan through its database and just update that one piece of info?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends has an "Update From PubMed" feature already, so if you select your references and choose this the PMCID should be downloaded if it is present. Note that many PubMed records don't have PMCIDs.

Jon
Sonny Software
Edwin Sanchez

Post by Edwin Sanchez »

Hi,

Under Ref pulldown, I can't find an 'update from pubmed" option, only "copy pubmed id". I am trying to update the PMCIDs.

Am probably overlooking the command. Thanks for your help.

Eddie
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That command was replaced by the more versatile Refs -> Autofill From Internet, which will use PubMed if there is a PMID, and other online sources if there is not.

Jon
Sonny Software