Could a "Cited by" field import such information from references?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
jmm

Could a "Cited by" field import such information from references?

Post by jmm »

Large databases such as Scopus, which I mainly use, include information about the number of articles which have cited a journal article. Such a field would be useful for me because I keep a larga database for searches, separated from the curated ones. This field would allow to sort references by that criteria. Going to each of the Notes field and remembering the info is impractical.

I guess different databases may name this field differently or, as is the case with Scopus, place the info in the Notes field of the .bib file. Hence, the technical difficulty of collecting such info taking into account the different names the main providers give to that specific field, or from a derivative word of "cited" followed by a number in the notes field.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Could a "Cited by" field import such information from references?

Post by Jon »

The Web of Science filter provides that information (times cited).

Jon
Sonny Software
jmm

Post by jmm »

I cannot use BookEnds' Web of Science filter. Whilst I can access the site from the browser, the online search with the filter rejects my search. I have seen that I could input a user name and password in the import filter manager, but then we connect without them, just with our university library's IP.

By the way and regardless of the "cited by" field, isn't there a filter for Scopus in BookEnds?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Try searching WoS a few times. I tried today and the first two times it was rejected. Thereafter it worked. Google Scholar also gives times cited, BTW, although I have no idea how accurate that is.

No, no Scopus search. They have a new API and refused to allow us to use it. Feel free to write to them and ask them to allow Bookends access.

Jon
Sonny So
jmm

Post by jmm »

I would certainly change Elsevier's policy if I could. :oops:

Since that is the main service I use, there are two options left which I know of. I am interested in how they work because they are the ones that apply to any service site.

The first option would be to get out of BookEnds and search in Firefox and download a file, indiferently in .ris or .bib format. Doing this, I find it surprising that BookEnds doesn't pre-select an import format. With so many options to select from by the user, and only a handful being the most common, a pre-selection feature would be a time saver.

The other and for me preferable option, would be to download such a file from BookEnds' web browser. Doing this, I find that the Scopus page says that the file has been downloaded, but I don't know where the file has been placed or indeed if it has been downloaded at all. I wonder if one could set where the files are to be downloaded. Or even better, if BookEnds could detect the format of the file being downloaded from its browser and offer to add it to the library, so that one doesn't have to leave the searching app. These are features that Firefox has, with plugins for both .ris and .bib files https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ap ... dles-files

By the way, with the first option BookEnds asks for the import format only if the file is imported manually. If Firefox has been configured not to download but to send .ris and .bib files directly to BookEnds, then the app writes the reference directly, without asking for the import format.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I think at this point you should take this off-forum and deal with tech support directly. If the file has a .ris extension Bookends will offer the RIS filter in the import dialog. If you find that's not the case, the forum is not the place to deal with it.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2038

Jon
Sonny Software