Faster workflow to get references and import from EBSCO database

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
mjvalente

Faster workflow to get references and import from EBSCO database

Post by mjvalente »

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and, in fact, also new to Bookends. That didn't stop me from migration all my +1500 references plus attachments to Bookends in just a few days (did a bit of clean-up too, preparing my sabbatical). After using Sente for a few years, I started to dislike the UI and lack of support; then moved to Zotero, which works fine but also gave me some problems of customisation. Finally decided to try both Papers and Bookends—the first was too buggy for my taste and Bookends was just perfect. I'm actually kicking myself for not trying it earlier. It's a terrific app and its sidekick (BoT) works great for reading and annotating files on the go... (looking forward for further customisation of the sync, though: sync all refs, but only download specific groups)

Anyway—two of my usual search and import refs workflows are:

– Open Alfred and search Google Scholar from it (normally title of needed ref). The webpage opens in Safari and then I use the Bookends Safari bookmarklet to send it to Bookends. (Since it's the first bookmark on my list, I just click cmd+alt+1.) Then the usual thing within Bookends Browser: select reference and import it to Bookends. Sometimes do the same with the pdf as attachment.
– Open Alfred and search Crossref from it (the DOI of needed ref). Then follow the above sequence: safari > bookends browser > import.

:?: Now, what I'd like to know is if there is (or there can be in the future) a faster way to do this. I suppose that the fastest would be via URL scheme or Applescript (another possibility is allow Bookends Browser to appear in the system as a real browser and select it in the Alfred workflow):

- Go to Alfred (or LaunchBar...) and search Google Scholar or Crossref and open directly in the Bookends browser, skipping the Safari passage. (I know that we can do these searches via Bookends too, but it takes me longer and time is precious in a much used workflow.)

:?: Another question is related to EBSCO (a database resource for academic journals etc). Would it be possible to Bookends to import references from the EBSCO database as well? (From within Bookends Browser.)

-- MJV
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Faster workflow to get references and import from EBSCO database

Post by Jon »

I hope others pitch in with their thoughts, too. But here are mine.

1. Why is searching with Bookends Browser slower? You can make any web site the default (home), so that when you Command-W in Bookends you go right to Google Scholar (or wherever you want).

2. I don't have access to most EBSCO databases, but when I access one of their free ones

http://web.a.ebscohost.com/ehost/search ... 0&hid=4112

I see that most hits have DOIs that Bookends can locate (and thus import).

As for searching EBSCO directly, that would require a Z30.50 server on their end, not a web site.

Jon
Sonny Software
mjvalente

Post by mjvalente »

Thanks for your quick reply, Jon.
1. Why is searching with Bookends Browser slower? You can make any web site the default (home), so that when you Command-W in Bookends you go right to Google Scholar (or wherever you want).
Hm. I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. I do think doing the search via Bookends Browser (BB) is faster, but I was wondering if I could start it from Alfred (or LaunchBar): basically making the input search in Alfred, but opening it in Bookends Browser. However, maybe your suggestion is great—I just didn't understand it.

Note: I have Google Scholar as my homepage in BB, but command-W does not open it.

Regarding EBSCO: my apologises since I just noticed can do what I was asking you about. Apparently there's no Z30.50, but the page search allows me to easily pick and import the references. (Only on the search page itself, not when I have already picked an item and opened it. Anyway, it works for what I want, that's the important thing. It also imports the pdf and that's extra handy.)

-- MJV
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

mjvalente wrote:Hm. I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. I do think doing the search via Bookends Browser (BB) is faster, but I was wondering if I could start it from Alfred (or LaunchBar): basically making the input search in Alfred, but opening it in Bookends Browser. However, maybe your suggestion is great—I just didn't understand it.
I meant that if you click on the bookmarks icon you can put a check next to the site you want Bookends to go to when the BB window opens.
Note: I have Google Scholar as my homepage in BB, but command-W does not open it.
Sorry. Shift-Command-W

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Jon wrote:
mjvalente wrote:Hm. I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. I do think doing the search via Bookends Browser (BB) is faster, but I was wondering if I could start it from Alfred (or LaunchBar): basically making the input search in Alfred, but opening it in Bookends Browser. However, maybe your suggestion is great—I just didn't understand it.
I meant that if you click on the bookmarks icon you can put a check next to the site you want Bookends to go to when the BB window opens. If you already have done that then it gives you a bit of a faster workflow.
Sorry. Shift-Command-W

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I meant that if you click on the bookmarks icon you can put a check next to the site you want Bookends to go to when the BB window opens. If you already have done that then you've made the change I was suggesting.
Sorry. Shift-Command-W

Jon
Sonny Software[/quote]
mjvalente

Post by mjvalente »

Thanks again for the quick reply, Jon.