Abbreviation list for institutional authors

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
laxei

Abbreviation list for institutional authors

Post by laxei »

Would it be feasible to have an abbreviation list or glossary for the authors field as well? This would work exactly in the same way as the journal glossary.

I am citing many texts where the author is an institution (eg United Nations Security Council, International Law Commission, Court of Justice of the European Union, Inter-American Court of Human Rights, etc). Many of these should be abbreviated, possibly in subsequent citations only. This causes quite a bit of manual work in the word processor but seems like a task that could usefully be performed by the citation manager. Even better if there was a way to produce a list of abbreviations that is sometimes required.

I wonder if anyone else has been thinking about this. Have you found a practical way? Do you have institutional authors in abbreviated or full form in the database? I have also been thinking of assigning one user specified field for the purpose.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Abbreviation list for institutional authors

Post by Jon »

Bookends autocompletes entries in the authors field. So you need enter it manually once. After that use autocomplete.

Jon
Sonny Software
laxei

Post by laxei »

Which is an excellent aid in entering information.

But I was actually talking about the finished paper. Now I always get full author names. But what I would like to get is, for example, the first time 'United Nations Security Council' and in subsequent appearances UNSC. Just like instead of the 'Yearbook of International Law Commission' I can get YBILC with {j} in the format but also the full journal name with {f} when that's needed.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

This for the in-text citation, right? I think you could put the abbreviated name in a user field (e.g. user1), and then use that field in the secondary order in the format. E.g.

Primary order: a (d) t v:p.

Secondary order: u1 (d) t v:p.

Jon
Sonny Software