alternative views for pdf annotation

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
isma

alternative views for pdf annotation

Post by isma »

Hello
Currently Bookends window is split horizontally : reference list on top and pdf/browser/tag.. on bottom.
For annotating pdf, I would find very useful to be able to benefit from the whole heigh of my screen

One possibility would be to be able to hide completely the reference list pane on top (instead of 'just being able to maximimiize pdf pane). In fact, this option is already proposed for hiding the right pane with the "open/close right pane" button. Maybe, it could be generalized for hiding the top pane, the left pane and also the bottom pane ?

Other alternatives include
- to be able to split Bookends vertically (similarly to sente)
- to be able to open the pdf in a new tab (like Papers, which offers a read view)
- to be able to open the pdf in a new window

Isma
Jon
Site Admin

Re: alternative views for pdf annotation

Post by Jon »

You can view the pdf like that now -- open the edit pane on the right (double click on the reference will do that, for example) and click on the the Attachments tab.

Jon
Sonny Software
isma

Post by isma »

Many thanks for your answer
Indeed. I forgot the attachment tab. In fact, I realise that I don't know how to use the attachment tab in practice :
Within the attachment tab, you loose the ability to annotate your paper with bookends cards. Plus I would say that the attachment tab is not likely to be set to the same width as the other tabs (main tab etc), so this requires to resize the right pane when you move from one tab to the others. I would prefer to see it separated from the other tab (like sente in fact) to be really useful to me.
Isma
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm a bit reluctant to hide the top pane entirely, to avoid user confusion, but I have reduced it to just the column headings row when you use Maximize PDF Pane. This gives you almost the entire height of the library window display area. This will be in the next update.

Jon
Sonny Software
isma

Post by isma »

thanks
And what about the idea of proposing an alternative view: splitting vertically instead of horizontally ? I also like the idea of keeping the reference list visible but I think the vertical split is more adapted to our wide screens
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I think Bookends already has quite a few UI permutations. Frankly I don't know what you mean by a vertical split that isn't something we already have -- there are 3 vertical areas: the groups/Term Lists panes, the display/attachment/etc. panes, and the right info/edit panes.

Your request was to have the entire height of the screen to edit the PDF. What I've done provides that.

Jon
Sonny Software
isma

Post by isma »

This is what I meant

In sente, you can either have the main pane split horizontally

or vertically

Isma
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If you want to work on the PDF at full height and have the note stream available, I'd use Maximize PDF Display. If you don't care about the note stream you can use the Attachments tab of the reference pane. Having a comfortably wide PDF display and 3 other columns viewed at once (as in that example) looks like a rather cramped viewing experience, IMO. I have no plans to add a four-column view at this time.

Jon
Sonny Software