More Control Output of Individual Resources

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
cox35788

More Control Output of Individual Resources

Post by cox35788 »

My situation:
I'm dissertating. I have hundreds of citations from sundry disciplines. Moreover, my institution neither adheres to a standard style guide (loosely based on Turabian) nor publishes a style-guide in a Format for biblio-manager.

My problem:
My problem is with the Formats Manager and trying to control the various kinds of resources, their various types, and my idiosyncratic style-guide. I would like to have more control at a micro level (i.e., individual bibliographic item) rather than the macro level (bibliographic type). Here's a common sequence of events:

1.) I find a problem with the format of a scanned item X.
2.) I alter the universal output for that type in Formats Manager such that X is now formatted correctly upon scan.
3.) Other items Y, Q, L, etc., are now formatted incorrectly.

The solution I'd like is to override the Formats Manager for certain resources in such a way that a re-scan does revert back to incorrect (as the "Format Citation" feature currently does).

Alternative solution:
1.) I want to enter each individual bibliography item formatted perfectly according to my style-guide.
2.) Each individual bibliographic item will have three formats:
2A.) First-time in text.
2B.) Second-time in text.
2C.) Bibliography
* This is similar to ibidem's "alternate" citation which, as I understand it, allows such control for any particular bibliographic item. (http://www.notabene.com/brochures/ibidem.html)
* Bookends will then handle determining which is the first, where Ibid. should be used, and determining which resources belong in the bibliography. I handle every formatting detail at the level of the individual bibliographic item *RATHER THAN* at the level of universal bibliographic type.

Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: More Control Output of Individual Resources

Post by Jon »

A simple example would be helpful.

As for this request:

2A.) First-time in text.
2B.) Second-time in text.
2C.) Bibliography

Bookends does that. In the format

2A = Citation Options -> Field Order (First Occurrence).
2B = Citation Options -> Subsequent (Optional)
2C = Bibliography Options

Bookends also handles Ibid., separately.

Jon
Sonny Software
cox35788

Post by cox35788 »

Jon, I'm grateful for your quick response!

I feel silly that the solution was so simple, but I had hoped this would be the case!

So, what I've done (you may want to guide me differently) is create a new TYPE, which I've temporarily named OVERRIDE. I'll move any problematic bib items to this type.

Within this type, I've entered the bibliographic information exactly as I want it in fields User 1 (2A), User 2 (2B), and User 3 (2C). I've changed the Formats Manager to map *only* the appropriate field for Bibliography Options (u3) and Citation Options (u1 and u2 as appropriate). My metadata is still in tact and I can return the bib item to a new type when publishing to another format.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I don't know why you're using the User fields -- it sounds as if you're constructing the final citation yourself. Are you? If so, that's wrong, that's what Bookends formats do when you scan.

So if there's a misunderstanding here, please make sure you've read the Bookends PDF tutorial (Help menu) and viewed the video tutorials on formatting and scanning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CowJRIu ... load_owner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-mmbq6 ... e=youtu.be

Jon
Sonny Software
cox35788

Post by cox35788 »

Yes. I do want the ability to construct the final citations myself. I understand the processes. My problem is that I want to be able to bypass the construction during the scan for some out-of-the-ordinary bib entries that don't format correctly when constructed by the scan.

Hence
I would like to have more control at a micro level (i.e., individual bibliographic item) rather than the macro level (bibliographic type).
Invariably, whenever I work with the Formats Manager to correct an errant citation, it will 'mess up' citations that were perfectly fine before tweaking.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If you have a specific example of this (tweaking the format to accommodate one reference ruins it for other references), please contact tech support with it and we'll see if we can come up with a better solution.

Jon
Sonny Software