is it possible to use a field to add the date the ref was created?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
opsimathphd

is it possible to use a field to add the date the ref was created?

Post by opsimathphd »

First of all, THANK YOU!!! for adding the ability to enter ref's by bar code. This is a wonderful addition to an already terrific program.

Next, dumb question # 572: I used the camera/bar code entry method for a number of books all at once, and was hoping to be able to search for them by date created, but I couldn't find a way to do that. is it possible to configure a field to automatically register the date when a ref was created?

Thanks again!
Philologist

Re: is it possible to use a field to add the date the ref was created?

Post by Philologist »

I don’t know how this is implemented in the iOS version, but in the Desktop version Bookmark automatically keeps track of the date and time when a reference was added.

In the library window, right-click on the top bar and select “Added”. You can then easily sort the list according to the date and time the references were added to the library.

“The multi-column view can display any field, the reference Type, the relative reference number, the Unique ID, the date added, the date last modified, the static groups to which a reference belongs, and the color label.” (The User Manual, p. 83)

1.png
1.png (162.53 KiB) Viewed 389 times

This information can also be output in your format in case you want to print it out. You’ll then need to add “w” (without the quotes) in the Formatting Manager.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

@Philologist has nicely summarized ways you can keep track of the date added. Two more that may be useful come to mind: (1) add a SQL smart group that finds references added in the last XX period of time (the default is 2 weeks, but it is easily modified), and (2) the date added is shown at the bottom of the reference's edit pane.

Jon
Sonny Software
opsimathphd

Post by opsimathphd »

Thank you both. I thought I had searched both the program and the manual thoroughly before I posted the question, but apparently not. It was indeed a dumb question, and I much appreciate the courtesy with which it was answered—not found in every user forum!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Not dumb at all -- Bookends has a rather deep feature set and it's not always easy to locate a particular bit of information in the comprehensive (read: long) user guide. One other useful thing I forgot to mention -- if you select a static group when performing barcode scans, the books will be imported to that group.

Jon
Sonny Software