Help on applying secondary order to edited books

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
proteus

Help on applying secondary order to edited books

Post by proteus »

Hello,
I am extensively using the Secondary order in my custom format. However, I have an issue with it being applied to Edited books. When I quote a second chapter from an edited book, the title of the book is reproduced in full again, as opposed to the secondary order which I would need.
So for example

John Smith, °Title 1" in Mike Johnson (ed.), This is a test, London, London Publishing House, 1994

and a few footnotes down I quote another chapter

Ross Johnstone °Title 2° in Mike Johnson (ed.), This is a test, London, London Publishing House, 1994

is there a way to make the edited book appear as secondary in the second quote?

many thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Help on applying secondary order to edited books

Post by Jon »

The secondary order is used if the same exact reference is cited again. Since you are citing a different chapter (same book), it is a difference reference and the primary order is used. I'm sorry, but I can't think of a way to do this automatically, so you'll have to post-process the file if you want the book info to be displayed differently the second time it is cited.

Jon
Sonny Software
proteus

Post by proteus »

thanks for your reply...could I turn this into a feature request for a future update? It would be really handy to have. Is there any way the relationship between two or more different chapters of the same edited book might be highlighted and used in the way I proposed?

many thanks again
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm not sure what you mean by any way to highlight different chapters of the same book, but as I said, Bookends will consider two chapters from the same book to be different references, and will not use the secondary order when the second chapter is cited. I understand it's a feature request.

Jon
Sonny Software