NeoOffice

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Riad Goas

NeoOffice

Post by Riad Goas »

Hi,

Is there any plan to add NeoOffice Support to Bookends?

Thanks

Riad
Jon
Site Admin

Re: NeoOffice

Post by Jon »

Bookends can scan RTF files saved from NeoOffice now. I haven't looked at it for a while, but as I recall when I did it didn't have anything like VBA that would allow more.

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

OpenOffice

Post by ozean »

Did you take a look at the new .odf (I think it is at version 1.2) format used by OpenOffice? Since it is XML based and a standard and all of these nice things it might actually be possible to implement some rudimentary support.

I have the impression that OpenOffice on the Mac will only experience a really substantial growth as soon as the native aqua version 3 reaches final status. (Although NeoOffice has been great, I have always seen it as an intermediary effort – waiting for the “real thing”.) In my imagination it appears as if the number of Mac users using Pages and those using some OpenOffice variant might be more or less equal – since you put some effort into Pages, I thought you might also put some into OO?

I only use Mellel anyway, so I am happy with the word processing support offered by Bookends – but maybe I can convince even more of my colleagues and friends to desert EndNote and switch to Bookends if you offer OO support… ;)
David_Mac

Post by David_Mac »

Hi Jon and Ozean,

From the OpenOffice 3 website (http://marketing.openoffice.org/3.0/ann ... tbeta.html):

"OpenOffice.org 3.0 will be the first version to run on Mac OS X without X11, with the look and feel of any other Aqua application. It introduces partial VBA support to this platform. (my italics) In addition, OpenOffice.org 3.0 integrates well with the Mac OS X accessibility APIs, and thus offers better accessibility support than many other Mac OS X applications."

There may be grounds for another look, Jon, at least to see how large the task will be. The final release due September may interest many people given the long lead time for the reintroduction of VBA to the next version of MS Office for Mac (although I think MS may move faster than the community thinks here).

David
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I'll download the beta, and will keep an eye on OpenOffice for sure.

Jon
Sonny Software
jdien

Post by jdien »

I'd like to chime in requesting support for OpenOffice/NeoOffice as well. The 3.01 release was a big improvement and it's starting to look like a viable replacement for Word, including support for .doc and .docx and also change tracking. In my experience with it thus far, it is already running better and more reliably than Word 2008. And it's free. I'm gradually switching over to it.

Cheers!

Joe
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

We added support for OpenOffice a while ago. Bookends reads and writes native OpenOffice 3.x Writer files.

Jon
Sonny Software
jdien

Post by jdien »

Hi,
I meant more like the level of support available for Word, like having access from within the application and command-Y automatically switching to the document and pasting in the citation. Or is that not possible yet for NeoOffice/OpenOffice? I'm not sure how well they support Applescript and all that right now.

Cheers!

Joe
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi,

No AS support in either (at least last time I looked). But you *can* use Command-Y with OO and just do the Command-V to Paste yourself. You can also drag and drop temp citations into OO and NeoOffice documents. OO does have it's own scripting language, so it's conceivable that we could get information out of it for scanning. But I haven't investigated that very much.

Jon
Sonny Software