pdf attachment doesn't show up in preview pane

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
niklas

pdf attachment doesn't show up in preview pane

Post by niklas »

I had a computer crash last week and am trying to get everything back working on a new machine.
WHen I launch bookends it doesn't show anything in the preview pane. If I turn off "Use Webkit to display pdfs" the pdf shows up, so it might have something to do with webkit?
It's a new installation of the OS (and bookends) so I doubt that I could have done something nasty to it yet. The only thing I can think of is that I have also installed adobe acrobat, and I know it has a bad habit of wanting to hijack pdf display.

Anyone who has experienced something similar? Any suggestions on what I could do?

Best regards, Niklas
Jon
Site Admin

Re: pdf attachment doesn't show up in preview pane

Post by Jon »

HI,

Yes, you've probably installed the Adobe pdf plugin. Please see our FAQ (Help menu) about how to disable it. Then relaunch Bookends.

Jon
Sonny Software
niklas

Post by niklas »

Thanks, that did the trick!

I suspected something like that but I missed it in Acrobat's long list of preferences. Nasty behavior from Adobe I think.

On a related note. Is there a way to more permanently switch off webkit preview (I know, kind of weird to ask that now when you have just helped me enable it, but anyway...)? If I turn it off using the cogwheel icon at the bottom of the preview it doesn't stick through sessions (a relaunch)?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It should stick between sessions. Try with a fresh database. Does it stick then? If it does (and it should), please follow this up off-forum (support@sonnysoftware.com).

Jon
Sonny Software
mchapman

Post by mchapman »

Just upgraded to a MacBook Pro but also had this problem with my PowerBook G4.

As far as I can tell Adobe Reader is not installed (the translucent controls of reader don't show up). It looks like the only Adobe software installed is the flash plug in. However, PDFs are still not displayed with "Use Webkit to display PDFs" turned on. Unfortunately, with it turned off I cannot copy quotes from the PDF to the notes field.

Is there anything else that might be the problem?

Thanks, Mark
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Not that I'm aware of. Please launch Adobe Reader and go to its Preferences. Click on Internet in the left panel. On the right you should see a checkbox called something like "Display PDF in browser using:". If it is checked, uncheck it.

Jon
Sonny Software
mchapman

Post by mchapman »

Adobe Reader is not installed on my MacBook. As far as I know it has never been installed (at least there are no preference files for it).

Thanks,

Mark
mchapman

Post by mchapman »

Should I install Adobe Reader to get to this setting?

Mark
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yes (it's free), or Adobe Acrobat if you own that. It's possible that the plugin was activated previously and then the app thrown away (but the plugin still active). I'm just guessing here, of course. If that's wrong, a diagnostic test would be to try this on another Mac, too. See if the problem is specific to your system.

Jon
Sonny Software
mchapman

Post by mchapman »

It is a new computer and I have never installed Adobe Reader on it. However, it is worth a try.

Mark
mchapman

Post by mchapman »

Downloaded Adobe Reader. Setting was not checked.

Mark
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

OK, can you try another Mac (whether your Mac is new or not is irrelevant, it's still a local problem, and I want to know if in your hands it works on another system).

Please follow this up with me directly at support@sonnysoftware.com.

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Post by ozean »

It might be easier to try the same thing in a new user account instead of on another mac – then we know if it is a local-user problem or not. (It might still be a local-computer problem, however.)
mchapman

Post by mchapman »

Tried my old Powerbook and it does not have the problem so it is likely an issue with my new MacBook.

Mark
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Try rebooting the new machine in safe mode (Shift key held down). See if it works now. Then reboot normally.

Jon
Sonny Software