Smart groups

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
ZC1ifi

Smart groups

Post by ZC1ifi »

I am somewhat baffled by the smart groups feature. I try to set up a smart group but get 0 hits. This is what I do:
1. Click on green Add
2. Chose Smart group
3. Give it a name under "Name" and enter a search term as "Text" "words beginning with" "All fields"
4. Everything else is left empty
5. Click on OK
6. The group is listed below Attachments with 0 entries (a Find search returns thousands of hits)

Two screenshots are attached.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-03-30 at 9.44.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-03-30 at 9.44.20 PM.png (71.07 KiB) Viewed 7716 times
Screen Shot 2013-03-30 at 9.44.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-03-30 at 9.44.01 PM.png (34.38 KiB) Viewed 7716 times
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Smart groups

Post by Jon »

That's odd. Smart groups and Find share much of the same code. You might try Rebuilding your database. If still no luck, please zip and send me your library so I can try it here.

Jon
Sonny Software
ZC1ifi

Post by ZC1ifi »

Jon,

Rebuilding did the trick.
imhotep

Post by imhotep »

I am having the same problem. I rebuilt the database, but that had no effect. I am getting no hits with the smart group (see attachment).
Attachments
SmartGroup.tiff
SmartGroup.tiff (60.4 KiB) Viewed 7498 times
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

How about a regular Find like this (not a smart group)? Note that by checking Any Group, a matching reference must be in a static group.

Jon
Sonny Software
imhotep

Post by imhotep »

Ok. No static group created. Seems like a strange limitation. Basically, the easiest fix is to create a static group with all entries.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The easiest fix is to *uncheck* static group. You're telling Bookends to only find references that are in a static group.

Jon
Sonny Software
imhotep

Post by imhotep »

Yes, that is the easiest.

Not clear from the documentation or the pop-up window, btw.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Sorry, but I disagree. I think it's pretty clear simply by inspection. And this is what the documentation says:

"In addition, you can further restrict your search to references that do or do not belong to marked static groups. If you check Any Group, Bookends will find any reference that does or does not belong to any static group, regardless of whether they are checked or not."

Jon
Sonny Software
imhotep

Post by imhotep »

There is no statement that the list shown is all "static" groups. Nor is the "All Groups" identified as a static group.

Usability is not about what the vendors employees believe obvious, it's about user appreciation of the ease of use and learnability of the product.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm not going to debate this. Any possible confusion would be immediately cleared up by looking the docs. And of course there is tech support and this forum, which apparently served its purpose, too.

Jon
Sonny Software