What is the preferred workflow to import from EBSCO?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
kaderan

What is the preferred workflow to import from EBSCO?

Post by kaderan »

Hello, I have a question similar to the one asked viewtopic.php?t=3944
but it's an old thread so I thought I'd reboot it:

I'm fairly new to Bookends, so I wanted to double-check my EBSCO importing workflow because it seems convoluted using the Bookends browser, and I feel I must be doing something wrong.

First, let me say that using Google Scholar in the Bookends browser works just fine.

However, when I log into my EBSCO account in BB and do a search, I only get the option to import references on the results page (never, so far, on the page of the actual reference.) And the BB listed options for import from the EBSCO search results page (ie., once the BB import button has been clicked) do not list all of the references shown on the results page.

Since I've yet to figure out how to import references directly from EBSCO into Bookends (note: My EBSCO account is under an institution, so using the EBSCO filter doesn't seem to work (my institutional account is not recognized, hence my efforts to use the BB), I am using Zotero's import plugin in my regular web browser, importing EBSCO records into Zotero (which also reliably grabs associated pdf's, if any), exporting my Zotero library to a file, and importing the Zotero library into Bookends.

I can't help thinking that there must a more direct way of getting records from EBSCO into Bookends and that I'm missing something.

Any advice on a better way to do this much appreciated.

Sam
Jon
Site Admin

Re: What is the preferred workflow to import from EBSCO?

Post by Jon »

There are a number of things to consider. First, remember that Bookends data detectors look for DOIs, arXiv IDs, JSTOR URLs, and CoiNS (maybe another that's slipped my mind, but I'm out of town and can't check at the moment). That may explain why Bookends detects some but not all references. And if the individual reference doesn't display that (or if it's generated by JS on-the-fly and not in the HTML), Bookends may not find it.

EBSCO is behind a paywall, so I can't check, the it may have the option to "export to citation manager". If so, select RefMan (other choices will work, too), export, and import the resulting file via drag and drop onto your Bookends library.

We have a number of EBSCO import filters that were created may years ago, so may not be valid any more. But the ones that include search capabilities might possibly be useful, and should work via ip authentication if you're on campus or have VPN access.

Finally, if you must use Zotero, we have a streamlined path for direct export of Zotero references to Bookends, with no need of dealing with files. You set up a watch folder in the Finder, then export the selected Zotero references (and attachments if you like) to that folder, and Bookends will import them and remove the files for you. Please refer to the User Guide for the full details (search for Zotero).

Jon
Sonny Software
kaderan

Re: What is the preferred workflow to import from EBSCO?

Post by kaderan »

Thanks, that's helpful. - Sam