Bookends crash when scanning latex document

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Matthew

Bookends crash when scanning latex document

Post by Matthew »

Hi All,

Thought I'd try out the forum...

I'm using Bookends X 7.7.5 on MacOSX 10.2.8. When scanning a latex document I created with TeXShop I see Bookends finding the citations (they flash by in a progress dialog). However, when it seems to get to the end of the document, Bookends crashes with no error message. The document isn't long (~17kB) and I was able to reproduce it with a minimal latex document (only a \cite field). Any insight or help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Matthew
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Matthew,

Whenever Bookends crashes during normal operation, it almost always means that the database has incurred some damage.

The fix is to do File -> Database Maintenance -> Rebuild (Keep User Data). If that fails, don't Keep User Data (in case that is corrupted). The final try is to remove Bookends Preferences and relaunch.

These steps (in order) typically take care of > 95% of the crashes that are reported.

If one of these doesn't work for you, pleae report back...

Jon
Sonny Software

Post by Guest »

Hi Jon,
Thank you for your quick reply.
Jon wrote: The fix is to do File -> Database Maintenance -> Rebuild (Keep User Data). If that fails, don't Keep User Data (in case that is corrupted).
The final try is to remove Bookends Preferences and relaunch.
I tried to rebuild the database and retried the scan after each attempt. Bookends still crashed at the end of scanning the latex document. I then scrapped all of the Bookends preferences and retried the scan - same result.

I then created a very simple database with only one entry and used a very simple latex file also with only one entry. Bookends still crashed. Console.app doesn't say anything interesting but there is a crash log being written - don't know if it'd be useful or not.

Cheers,
Matthew
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hm, I wonder if the format could be damaged?

The easiest thing to do would be to send me the simple database, the simple document, and a copy of the format you are using (stuffed, please). I'll see if I can reproduce the problem here and let you know what I find.

You can send them to me at

support@sonnysoftware.com

Thanks,

Jon
Sonny Software
Tineke D'Haeseleer

Post by Tineke D'Haeseleer »

Well, it definitely worked for me! Thanks! -though i should have found this myself in the user guide, if I'd looked a bit better instead of panicking!

Tineke

Jon wrote:Hi Matthew,

Whenever Bookends crashes during normal operation, it almost always means that the database has incurred some damage.

The fix is to do File -> Database Maintenance -> Rebuild (Keep User Data). If that fails, don't Keep User Data (in case that is corrupted). The final try is to remove Bookends Preferences and relaunch.

These steps (in order) typically take care of > 95% of the crashes that are reported.

If one of these doesn't work for you, pleae report back...

Jon
Sonny Software
:wink: